So a friend posted an e-mail forward to my FB wall talking about how many Biblical revelations had predated science and felt compelled respond. Apparently they come from a book called The Evidence Bible. Here is that response beginning with a response to the provided list of prominent scientist believers. Many scientists did believe in God in the past, but science has only been able to provide legitimate answers to the really big questions for maybe the last 100 years or so.
But this is interesting none the less. That being said, the bible was obviously written by the educated elites of society that was dominated by religion so I’m not surprised some answers are a little more informed. Also the story of science is one of it overtaking it’s superstitious roots and there’s no doubt that much of science’s silly past is intertwined with religious ideologies. It’s not really about religion being ahead of science a thousand years ago. It’s more about science throwing off religions’ shackles to provide far more thoughtful observations of it’s own without religion.Some of these are massive stretches though. One thing about ‘science’ is that it required to know a reason things happen. When it says something like “Medical science only recently discovered” that’s not to say that science only recently became aware that something happens rather science only recently discovered how the process worked. It’s like how science discovered how gravity kept planets in line around the sun years after we realized the earth goes round the sun. Now lets talk about some of these Biblical science truths.
1. Medical science has only recently discovered that blood-clotting in a newborn reaches its peak on the eighth day, then drops. The Bible consistently says that a baby must be circumcised on the eighth day.
I can see this as the result of rabbis, who do the chopping noticing a trend and writing it in. I can also see it as a coincidence of being one day after the 7 days of creation. It’s a pure assumption this is due to blood clotting and if it was the Bible would say this is the reason, no?
2. At a time when it was believed that the earth sat on a large animal or a giant (1500 B.C.), the Bible spoke of the earth’s free float in space: “He…hangs the earth upon nothing” (Job 26:7).
Come on. Nothing in this time/place/reference is ‘air’… it’s not space. This is like how god ‘lived in the heavens’ means clouds, not space beyond the clouds. Christianity is also an extension of pagan sun worshipers hence Christmas being on the same day as Mithras’s birthday and God living in the same place the Sun did.
3. The prophet Isaiah also tells us that the earth is round: “It is he that sits upon the circle of the earth” (Isaiah 40:22). This is not a reference to a flat disk, as some skeptic maintain, but to a sphere. Secular man discovered this 2,400 years later. At a time when science believed that the earth was flat, is was the Scriptures that inspired Christopher Columbus to sail around the world (see Proverbs 3:6 footnote).
It’s ‘sphere’ because he says so? No, it says circle and again, this is a translation. Religion fought the notion that the earth wasn’t flat for centuries. This is defenitly not saying sphere or anything like it. And it’s talking specifically about God sitting on a throne in the clouds, where we have been constantly for about 100 years and there has yet to be a throne found. Check out the full reference. It’s not talking about a sphere. It’s talking about a circle the lord looks down upon.
He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in.
4. God told Job in 1500 B.C.: “Can you send lightnings, that they may go, and say to you, Here we are?” (Job 38:35). The Bible here is making what appears to be a scientifically ludicrous statement—that light can be sent, and then manifest itself in speech. But did you know that radio waves travel at the speed of light? This is why you can have instantaneous wireless communication with someone on the other side of the earth. Science didn’t discover this until 1864 when “British scientist James Clerk Maxwell suggested that electricity and light waves were two forms of the same thing” (Modern Century Illustrated Encyclopedia).
huh? god says lightening, and radio waves travel at the speed of light, therefore god is talking about Marconi asking about the weather in England, and is therefore explaining particle wave physics??? No, I don’t think so. God is talking about lightening bolts and how they make sound ie: thunder. And that thunder is saying saying “I am here” and how these are the words of God. He’s saying “I’ve got lightening bolts bitch! You dissin me?” It’s the same thing Zeus does. That’s not science. It’s mythology.
5. Job 38:19 asks, “Where is the way where light dwells?” Modern man has only recently discovered that light (electromagnetic radiation) has a “way,” traveling at 186,000 miles per second.
What? I don’t think that even makes sense. If someone can explain this to me I’d love it. But he’s talking about a place in that bible passage, and a speed in science. If you get this passage please comment below so I can actually respond.
6. Science has discovered that stars emit radio waves, which are received on earth as a high pitch. God mentioned this in Job 38:7: “When the morning stars sang together…”
Singing is audible. Sound waves. Radio waves are electromagnetic waves. And you can’t hear them because they’re not sound waves. This is a flowery metaphor not a scientific statement about star radiation.
7. “Most cosmologists (scientists who study the structures and evolution of the universe) agree that the Genesis account of creation, in imagining an initial void, may be uncannily close to the truth” (Time, Dec. 1976).
From a 1976 publication huh. It’s not close to the truth at all. The big bang theory does not describe a void of nothingness. It describes a point of insanely dense mass containing all the matter in the universe called a singularity that exploded. A void is nothing. The singularity is everything. Nothing’s polar opposite.
8. Solomon described a “cycle” of air currents two thousand years before scientists “discovered” them. “The wind goes toward the south, and turns about unto the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits” (Ecclesiastes 1:6).
Umm… two thousand years? People knew that winds moves around since they had boats being pushed by them and hair to tell that the wind changes direction. Solomon was describing things that go one way and the other but the wind doesn’t stop but comes back. Again, this is a flowery metaphor. Just like the other one he makes in the previous verse about the sun
“The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.”
He’s not describing a scientific process. He’s saying ‘even though we don’t know how this happens, the wind never runs out, it comes back” Specifically he’s making metaphors about how people’s lives aren’t meaningless and how they are continued on after they are finished and how we are part of the earth’s cycles. To me, Soloman sounds like an Atheist.
“What do people gain from all their labors at which they toil under the sun? Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever.” Final note: Soloman also advised people to cut babies in half. Fact.
9. Science expresses the universe in five terms: time, space, matter, power, and motion. Genesis 1:1,2 revealed such truths to the Hebrews in 1450 B.C.: “In the beginning [time] God created [power] the heaven [space] and the earth [matter] . . . And the Spirit of God moved [motion] upon the face of the waters.” The first thing God tells man is that He controls of all aspects of the universe.
Umm… science expresses the universe in anywhere from 4-11-infinite dimensions. Power? I’ve never seen science use such an amorphous term such as power. Does he mean electricity? God told man that he controls time? Wait… What??? Science is complex and is a collection of theories/explanations. Some theoretical models have dimensions that actually contradict the others. String theory, M theory and classical physical theory are all ‘science’ and all have distinctly different methods of expressing the universe. This is because science doesn’t claim one understanding is right and must be followed. It says none are right, and all avenues must be investigated.
10. The great biological truth concerning the importance of blood in our body’s mechanism has been fully comprehended only in recent years. Up until 120 years ago, sick people were “bled,” and many died because of the practice. If you lose your blood, you lose your life. Yet Leviticus 17:11, written 3,000 years ago, declared that blood is the source of life: “For the life of the flesh is in the blood.”
lol. I do believe that it’s been known since people have known things (and the advent of “the knife” ) that people who bled a lot died. Up until 120 years ago people WERE bled… because of religious influence that claimed blood letting ‘released the demons’ that were making people’s bodies sick. Incidently this was performed by barbers who used to advertise by sticking their ‘blood letting poles’ outside their shops, hence the red and white pole outside barber shops even today. This stopped when science discovered things like bacteria and microscopic life that lived in us making us sick. The prevalent understanding was that if you were sick, it was because your soul was sick, which according to the bible ‘lives in your blood’ as stated above. In many translations the whole ‘flesh’ part is left out as well.
11. All things were made by Him (see John 1:3), including dinosaurs. Why then did the dinosaur disappear? The answer may be in Job 40:15–24. In this passage, God speaks about a great creature called “behemoth.” Some commentators think this was a hippopotamus. However, the hippo’s tail isn’t like a large tree, but a small twig. Following are the characteristics of this huge animal: It was the largest of all the creatures God made; was plant-eating (herbivorous); had its strength in its hips and a tail like a large tree. It had very strong bones, lived among the trees, drank massive amounts of water, and was not disturbed by a raging river. He appears impervious to attack because his nose could pierce through snares, but Scripture says, “He that made him can make his sword to approach unto him.” In other words, God caused this, the largest of all the creatures He had made, to become extinct.
No… saying that God ‘can’ attack him does not mean God ‘did’ do this. And God is telling people in the passage to ‘behold’ him. And he’s also describing ‘one’ animal. Not dinosaurs. Not Pterodactyls. Or the countless tiny dinos. Or the dinos that still are here for Science’s sake. (yes, crocs and millions of other lizards are dinosaurs).
12. Encyclopedia Britannica documents that in 1845, a young doctor in Vienna named Dr. Ignaz Semmelweis was horrified at the terrible death rate of women who gave birth in hospitals. As many as 30 percent died after giving birth. Semmelweis noted that doctors would examine the bodies of patients who died, then, without washing their hands, go straight to the next ward and examine expectant mothers. This was their normal practice, because the presence of microscopic diseases was unknown. Semmelweis insisted that doctors wash their hands before examinations, and the death rate immediately dropped to 2 percent. Look at the specific instructions God gave His people for when they encounter disease: “And when he that has an issue is cleansed of his issue; then he shall number to himself even days for his cleansing, and wash his clothes, and bathe his flesh in running water, and shall be clean” (Leviticus 15:13). Until recent years, doctors washed their hands in a bowl of water, leaving invisible germs on their hands. However, the Bible says specifically to wash hands under “running water.”
Again, educated aristocrats wrote the bible. They had things like running water and understood how things like ‘being clean’, ‘not touching the dirty people’ and ‘not eating the smelly meat’ kept you from getting sick. Good on them for putting in stuff preventing the unwashed and uneducated massed from killing themselves. That the people running the church were the rich ass people of privileged is not some scientific revelation. Lets go back one and consider that the ‘surgeons’ performing the blood letting two points back were the same people you’d go to for a shave or to get a tooth hauled out. Calling this man a ‘scientist’ or ‘doctor’ in the modern sense is a joke and a half.
It’s that the people who could afford the luxury of cleanliness that understood it’s ‘magical’ properties and those were priests, not doctors (who are really barbers lol). Those priests might have written it into some obscure passage in a book that the people couldn’t even freaking read, let alone that the clergy spoke to those same people in a language they didn’t understand… let alone that, they didn’t even bother to tell the barbers about how to stop from killing their clients. Washing under running water doesn’t clean hands anyway. You need soap and anti-bacterial substances to get clean. Honestly. Stretch? Much?
13. Luke 17:34–36 says the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur while some are asleep at night and others are working at daytime activities in the field. This is a clear indication of a revolving earth, with day and night at the same time.
lol. No. The bible and religion fought these notions immensely. It’s never been a secret that the sun moves across the sky and ‘darkness creeps’ across the earth behind it. It indicates common sense known from all people who lived on one side of a hill talking to people on the other side of the hill. This understanding has nothing to do with the earth revolving and predates the bible again, by about as many years before it as man started ‘knowing things’
14. “During the devastating Black Death of the fourteenth century, patients who were sick or dead were kept in the same rooms as the rest of the family. People often wondered why the disease was affecting so many people at one time. They attributed these epidemics to ‘bad air’ or ‘evil spirits.’ However, careful attention to the medical commands of God as revealed in Leviticus would have saved untold millions of lives. Arturo Castiglione wrote about the overwhelming importance of this biblical medical law: ‘The laws against leprosyin Leviticus 13 may be regarded as the first model of sanitary legislation’ (A History of Medicine).” Grant R. Jeffery, The Signature of God With all these truths revealed in Scripture,how could a thinking person deny that the Bible is supernatural in origin? There is no other book in any of the world’s religions (Vedas, Bhagavad-Gita, Koran, Book of Mormon, etc.) that contains scientific truth. In fact, they contain statements that are clearly unscientific. Hank Hanegraaff said, “Faith in Christ is not some blind leap into a dark chasm, but a faith based on established evidence.” (11:3 continued)
All the material in this section of our website comes directly from the pages of The Evidence Bible. This KJV bible has been commended by Josh McDowell, Dr. D. James Kennedy, and Franklin Kerri Graham
The book of Leviticus tells people that God will force them to cannibalize their own children if they don’t believe in him. Don’t believe me? Leviticus 26:27-28
27 “‘If in spite of this you still do not listen to me but continue to be hostile toward me, 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.
And you’re wondering why they didn’t take it seriously? But seriously, the cause of the Black Death was the Church which combined with feudalism to impoverish Europe creating a slave like lower class. They were dirty, dirty people who were infested with fleas. The fleas carried the disease and being clean helps prevent it’s spread since being clean helps prevent fleas. Cleanliness still didn’t stop the source of the uncleanliness which specifically was the dominant church/feudal state.
What cured the Black Death? Why, the Black Death of course since it depopulated Europe (even being clean doesn’t prevent the People’s fleas from getting to you) killing a plethora of ownership, allowing people to spread and naturally with a bit of freedom take a bath from time to time and not live in overpopulated medieval slums. Basically the Church’s oppression ended. With poverty slightly removed and the Church reeling (The Great Schism, where 3 separate people were claiming to be popes showed up), Martin Luther starting The Reformation at the same time challenging the authority of the Catholic church, and the age of enlightenment truly kicking off ‘real science’ the stranglehold religion had held of people for centuries started to loosen resulting in this conversation here today where people trying to make the old hooks the church had in people (ie: The Bible, that no one could read, and was read to them in a language no one understood, insane as that is).
That’s my interpretation of this list of scientific truths found in the bible. Honestly, I’m not sure why people are making a list like this. If there was ever anything that would convince someone that atheism’s ideas about religious cults was legitimate it would be giving this list to someone who then approaches an atheist/scientist about the list. My question is ‘why are these people lying to you’ when it’s so obvious the list is a collection of intentionally misleading assumptions.